Some of Forte’s grants carry special requirements regarding career age. This entails restrictions on how much time may have passed since you completed your doctoral degree. If you have not had the opportunity to work as a researcher for longer periods after your doctoral degree, it is possible to apply for an exemption from this requirement by invoking so-called deductible time.

Forte accepts the following grounds for deductible time:

  • Parental leave (during days you would otherwise have worked)
  • Care of a sick child (eligible for temporary parental benefit)
  • Care of a relative (eligible for benefit for care of closely related persons)
  • Sick leave (eligible for sick pay/sickness benefit)
  • Positions of trust in trade unions (carried out during working hours)
  • Service under the law on compulsory military service

Examples of grounds for deductible time that will not be accepted include other employment, unemployment or vacation. General service (AT), specialist service (ST) or practical service as a psychologist (PTP) will not be accepted because Forte equates it with other employment.

Applicants who want to claim deductible time may add up single days of absence for the entire period between the date of the doctoral degree and the closing date of the call. For those with a Swedish doctoral degree, the degree date registered in Ladok applies. For those with a foreign doctoral degree, the date on which the diploma is issued applies. The break must total at least two weeks and be rounded up to the nearest full calendar month (i.e. 0-13 days of absence does not entitle to claim deductible time or are rounded down while 14-31 days of absence are rounded to one month’s absence, etc.). The break should be calculated as full-time.